Monday 3 December 2012

Inside Haiti Earthquake


I still remembered when the huge earthquake landed in Haiti two years ago. I did not really know what to feel for all those unfortunate people. I did not know what to expect or how they felt which causes me to only stand by and watch on TV. Through the 'Inside Haiti Earthquake' game, I felt as though i was a part of it. I played it as a survivor as I always wanted to learn how I would be feeling when that happens to me. I learnt the harshness they felt but the feeling to want to help others and their own country is much more overwhelming. They find jobs they can help people with eventhough they are affected themselves and thus they are more worthy of praise rather than me who just stood there as if nothing happened.

TEACHING METHOD

Using this game to teach writing is possible if the students are able to access the game. First of all, the students are given a chance to play as one of the characters of the game. During the game, the students are required to write down the things done by their character of the game in point form. For example, the game showed the survivor going to look for voluntary work. As they proceed, the students are reminded to give the answer needed based on the process. Through this, the students are able remember the story better as if it was their own experience and it allows them feel as they were actually the characters in the game. Then, with the points, they are asked to write full sentences but not in a 1st person's view. This means they must write the sentences using he/she. This helps the students to learn how to think based on own experience(learnt from 1st person view from game) as an idea and create sentences needed for the tasks to create a full paragraph. This can also help the students to learn how to use connectors in the paragraph.

                                                            Total Destruction

Voluntary workers helping on the site

1 comment:

  1. Writing front he first person POV is appropriate and meaningful, especially for students in Malaysia to learn about empathy. Good!

    ReplyDelete