Thursday 13 December 2012

Response?!?!? How?!?!


         We were told that we would need to mark some students’ essay to teach us in assessing a student’s work as well as to teach us how to give comments for students to improve. I find this quite challenging as I am not really that good in assessing other people’s work. Through this lesson, I learnt that it is not easy to grade a student’s work and an even harder job to give constructive comments to the students. For the essay given to me, I noticed that there are quite a few mechanical errors and I got confused on how I should grade the work with constructive feedbacks. Miss Yoon explained a few ways we can do this in order to help students improve.

         The method I think that I would most probably use is the written comments. Depending on the students, a written comment can be used to tell the students where the errors are. The written comment can be simple sentences that weak students would understand and it can also be a bit advanced sentences suited for better students. For example, the essay given by Miss Yoon shows an understanding of the topic but has a few mechanical errors. By pointing out the errors in the comments, the student can revise again based on the comments.

         In addition, written comments should be an encouragement for the students instead of criticizing their work. This method can further encourage the students to do well and have confidence in what they write.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to explore ways to motivate the students through written comments.

    ReplyDelete